Google Geocoding API error: The request was denied.
Cooperstown was founded in the late 1700's by William Cooper. William Cooper was a judge, a member of Congress and encouraged numerous settlers to this area. His mansion, which burnt down many years ago, stood next to what is now the Baseball Hall of Fame and the grounds of the mansion are now a park. Several of the stone houses that William Cooper built are still standing in the village. The son of William Cooper, James Fenimore Cooper, became one of the best-loved novelists in the United States and his mark is left upon several features and monuments of the village. He referred to Otsego Lake, on the south end of which Cooperstown sits, as the "Glimmerglass" and the name is still used today. Cooperstown is the birth place of the Susquehanna River that winds through New York and Pennsylvania, connecting to the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, which leads to the sea. The Susquehanna River is the scene each Memorial Day of the General Clinton canoe regatta. The Village of Cooperstown was incorporated in 1807, which at that time had 133 houses, 57 barns and 686 residents.
- Street: Main Street
- City: Cooperstown
- State: NY
- Zipcode: 13326
- Telephone: 607-547-2411
On the map
Fill in your address into the address field below the map and the shortest route will be calculated.